A frequently asked question at the breakfast table is “What is that big white building with the carved figures on the spire?”
It is the historic Masonic Temple whose construction took seven years to complete, commencing in 1866. Most of the construction and carving was done by Eric Jensen Albertson, a mason and an employee of the local lumber mill. Mr. Albertson spent his spare time in a Big River beach shack carving the mythical figures which adorn the pedestal atop the Temple from a single piece of redwood!
The statuary depicts the Angel of Death, the hourglass of transience, wee weeping maiden, the anointment of her hair, the acacia branch and the sacred urn, the sundered column and the book of light – all of which are symbolic within the Masonic Order.
The Savings Bank of Mendocino County purchased the building in 1978 and the lodge retained its kitchen and ornate meeting hall upstairs while the downstairs was remodeled to house bank.
The next time you’re in the Village, take a few moments to take in the beauty and historic nature of this fine old building.
Source: Mendocino Mornings “A collection of breakfast delights from Joshua Grindle Inn” available on Amazon